The word stomach problem is a very vast and vague term. There are a tremendous amount of stomach problems that vary from mild one like indigestion, bloating to severe kinds such as gastric tumors. As per ayurveda each and every malformation in our body has arisen due to “mandagni” (diminished digestive power). Pitta is correlated with Agni as there is a great resemblance in the properties of both. So let’s start discussing the role ayurveda plays in stomach problems.
Stomach problems are of various types such as indigestion, stomach ulcer both gastric and duodenal ulcer, gastroenteritis and many more. Ayurveda is the most ancient science of Indian system of medicine. It is not just a science of healing but in fact it is a science of life. It tells us about the ideal daily regime and lifestyle one needs to follow to stay healthy and active.
Ayurvedic Overview About Stomach Problems
As per Ayurveda stomach problems arise due to diminished digestive fire so firstly it is mandatory to know about the property and action of digestive fire.
General Physiology Behind Action of Digestive Fire in Our Body
According to ayurveda as explained in charaka chikitsa 15/3-4
Ayu (Lifespan), varan (complexion), bala (strength), savasthya (health), utsaha (enthusiasm), prabha (lustre), ojas (immunity), tejo (energy of the body) and parana (vital breath) all these mentioned points depends on the body fire. If this fire gets extinguished, a person also dies. If the functioning of Agni is better it means a person will live long free form any ailment, if it gets deranged then the person will get ill, hence the Agni (digestive fire) is considered as the root cause of all the ailments as per ayurveda.
Complete Process Behind Digestion of Food
- The ‘prana vayu’ (there is five types of vayu in our body and prana vayu is one of them) carries the food to the belly where food is disintegrated by fluids (digestive juices) and it get softened by fatty substances with the help of ‘samana vayu’. Thus digestive fire cooks the timely taken and balanced food leading to promotion of lifespan. This agni digest the food we intake and divide it into rasa (nutritive part of the food) and mala (waste products) similarly likewise as fire from the vessel cooks the rice when we place water and rice together in it.
- The food we eat is composed of six rasas immediately after it is ingested, it undergoes the stages of ‘prapaka’ (preliminary digestion). Firstly due to predominance of kapha (mucus secretion) a frothy character arises.
- Then during the further process of digestion when the food is half burnt and descending down from the stomach due to the action of bile and other digestive factors it becomes froth freely due to pitta predominance as it possesses ushna, tikshan guna. Lastly when food reaches the large intestines it is absorbed by the fire and gets converted into a solid mass.
- Dhatus are made from the nutritive part of the body of the food we intake, it occurs in the following order- rasa, rakta,mamsa, meda, asthi, majja and shukra. Food also nourishes the upadhatus in the following manner- rasa nourishes breast milk as well as menstrual blood in women. Rakta nourishes tendons and blood vessels, mamsa nourishes vasa (adipose tissues) and six layers of skin and medas nourishes the ligaments and joints.
Clinical Features of Stomach Problems
It includes the signs and symptoms. A symptom means the general complaints along with patients present in front of the physician. Signs: It means what a physician notices himself by observing the patient’s condition. It includes:
- No desire to eat food.
- Pain in abdomen
- Burning sensation
- Fatigue and malaise
Ayurvedic Tips to Solve Stomach Problems
The main objective of Ayurveda is to protect the health of a healthy person and to alleviate disorders in the diseased one. To achieve this, we need to follow below mentioned points.
A. Sanshodhan Chikitsa
It includes panchakarma therapy (detoxification procedures)
- Deepan– Power of digestive fire (Agni) is increased by using deepan herbs
- Paachan– Digestive medicine is given by oral route to assimilate undigested food particles within the body.
- Sanehan– Smoothing the body dosha’s by using herbal ghrit/oil.
- Svedan– Semi-hot medicated kwath is sprayed on the patient’s body by a specially made swedan yantra (instrument).
- Vaman (emesis) – emetic medicines are given to the patient to take out the vitiated dosha of the body.
- Virechana (purgation) is the best technique to release out the pitta dosha from the body by anal route.
- Basti (Enema) – It is the best procedure for balancing the vata dosha within the body. In this herbal kwath (decoction) is inserted into the anal route of the patient and it will take out the pacified vata dosha with the fecal matter.
B. Sanshaman Chikitsa
Classical sanshamana chikitsa mentioned in our ancient text for stomach problem is as follow:
- Lavan bhaskar churna
- Hingwashtak churna
- Panchkol churna
- Avipattikar churna
Dosage: 2-5 gram with lukewarm water or honey after a meal.
- Chitrakadi vati
- Lavangadi vati
- Hingvadi vati
Dosage: 250-500 mg with plain water after a meal.
- Phalatrikadi kwath
- Kumari Asav
Dosage: 20-30 ml with plain water after meals.
Herbal Remedies by Planet Ayurveda to Solve Stomach Problems
Planet ayurveda is a leading herbal manufacturing unit serving people worldwide with their holistic approach of healing. Their herbal products are made under the guidance of ayurveda experts and are very effective in maintaining a healthy and sound body as they are completely pure and organic in nature free from harmful chemicals and preservatives. They offer various herbal formulations that work really well in various stomach problems. Some of them are as follow:
- Digestion Support
- Pitta Balance
- Amalaki Rasayan
- Hakam Churna
1. Digestion Support
This herbal formulation helps in regulating healthy digestion of the body as herbs present in it possess properties such as pittaghan (reduces pitta dosha). They are also good appetizers so enhance the digestive fire. A diminished digestive fire is the main culprit to generate every stomach problem. So this herbal formulation works really well for every gastric issue. It contains herbs such as amla (Emblica officinalis), haritaki (Terminalia chebula), pippali (Piper longum) etc.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal
2. Pitta Balance
This potent formulation is an efficacious blend of praval pishti, akik pishti, jawar mohra pishti, giloy satva etc. Minerals and herbs present in it have sheet virya (cold potency) thus works very well in reducing elevated pitta dosha within the body.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules two times a day with plain water after meals.
3. Amalaki Rasayan
It contains natural herb Amla (Embilica officinalis) that is enrich with various properties such as “Dahahar” (relieves pain), Jwarghan (help in combating fever), these two complaints are the chief complaints of a patient with every stomach problem so this rasayan (natural tonic) shows wonderful result in all gastric disorders.
Dosage- 1-2 capsules twice daily after meals with plain water.
4. Hakam Churna
This powdered herbal formulation helps in regulating healthy body metabolism by keeping the digestive tract healthy. As the patient of hypothyroidism generally suffers from constipation this herbal powder works really well for them. It contains natural herbs such as kalonji (Nigella sativa), methi (Trigonella foenum-graecum), chandrashoor (Lepidium sativum) and ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi ).
Dosage: 1 tsp twice daily with plain water after meals.
Now we can conclude that ayurveda deals with every stomach problem by going into the root level of malformation by considering the tridosha theory (three essential energies of our body vata, pitta and kapha) and panchamahabhuta theory (five essential things for life)- akash (sky) vayu (air) agni (fire) jal (water) prithvi (mother earth). If you are considering opting for ayurvedic treatment consult planet ayurveda. Their herbal medicines and diet chart are very much helpful in every stomach problem. You can directly visit us at our clinic located in Mohali, Punjab or you can send your query on email@example.com